Wednesday, May 09, 2012

"How to Miss a Childhood"

A friend posted this on her face.book page and it cut me to the heart even though I don't have a smartphone anymore.  You see, when I replaced talking, texting and game playing with dusting, laundry and picking up, I got a picture of me that I didn't want to see.  It made me realize just how often I tell Ryan "not now" so I can finish up that one household duty or put together another to-do list and it made me cringe.  Am I missing his childhood so my home can be drop-in guest ready, even when on most days we never have a drop-in guest?

But how can I change this?  How/when do you SAHM's do it (that is complete chores, etc)?  This stay at home setup is still so new and I feel at times that I am suffocating myself with self-imposed expectations of having everything together, all the time (and boy those expectations were easier to fulfil when someone else was taking care of my kid most of the time, to be quite honest). It is my desire to have a home in enough order to not be stressed out by disorganization and clutter, but never, ever at the expense of my children. 

And I suppose therein lies the new work-life balance I must figure out in this new life I am living.....

3 comments:

jenny said...

It is a tough balance. We're thinking of homeschooling Bella (THINKING ABOUT) and I was just telling my mom that the part that scares me is schooling ON TOP OF feeding everyone, caring for the babies, keeping a clean house, etc.

I do two pick up times: nap time and after bed time. The house is a free for all otherwise. It's going to be messy, but I always try to clean up (include Bella in this) before/after bedtime.

As for deep cleaning... well, I "try" and do a little each day. Bathrooms, mopping, dusting... but I'm not that great. But that's my goal.

You're doing wonderful, friend...

Shannon said...

Thanks Jenny. I'm hopeful I can get to a point (hopefully soon) where I can be more okay with mess and be more disciplined during kid-free times to focus on keeping up the house.

Michelle said...

I have a schedule where I pick one room to clean each day, whenever time allows. Often it takes me all day to clean that one room because I have to stop to feed or help someone. You'll get a routine figured out though! And yes, the house is inevitably messy a lot of the time. I've found that most moms always say, "oh don't even worry about it, my house looks exactly the same way!" if your house is messy, your kids are being loved and getting attention! :)