Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Poultry Debate

So I'm still plugging away at nursing even though it hurts like hell all the time and I cry at the thought of a feeding coming up, or anything really (and I'm currently crying at the thought of feeding in just an hour).  *Sigh*  I'm talking to my doctor about it at my 6-week checkup on Friday and I am going to get a mental checkup as well.  There I said it.  I am beginning to recognize that this level of pain for this long is really starting to take a toll on me. I love Natalie with all my heart, but to cry and dread feeding her just is not right. Not to mention, living on 2,400 mg of ibuprofin every day for weeks on end is going to give me an ulcer at some point probably. 

So anyway, getting to the more endearing part of this post - tonight I was beginning to feed Natalie on the horrid side and there's this dance we do where I get her close to the breast, then back her off in anticipation of the painful latch.  Rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times until I just bear down and take it.  At this particular feeding Ryan was in the room with us and as I backed her off for the second time I said quietly, but out loud "stop being a chicken and do it."  As I got past the excruciating part, I heard a little voice chime in......

You're not a chicken, Mama, you're a rooster

:)

2 comments:

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

Oh Shannon----you are a rock star...I don't even know what to say--keep it up, but certainly don't lose your mind. Your daughter needs that more than your milk anyway, because a sane Momma is essential for the well-being of the family:)

Shannon said...

Thanks Claire. :) It's such a bummer because my supply is so GOOD this time unlike with Ryan, so I just can't walk away so easily. I'm calling the LC tomorrow again to see if they have anything else in their arsenal to get my cracks healed up once and for all.

Happy nursing to you too, hopefully little August won't go on strike for at time like Freya did! :D