Thursday, February 16, 2012

Natalie Rose: The Rest of the Story, Part 3

Well unlike in the movies where someone apparently thinks it's okay to split the last segment into two different parts, this story will wrap up now.  I mean this part's only 17 minutes long, can't I just be quick about it?

So last we spoke, I had just gotten the catheter, my poor mother was in the corner due to her cath-hate and the nurse just told me I was complete.  From here, things really picked up.  The nurse makes a break for the door and starts shouting to people in the hall to get the doctor/cart, etc because I was ready to go.  She came back in and told me she was going to show me how to push which was helpful since I had never had to do such a thing.  She showed me what to do with my legs and when she went around the bed to stand in front of me she said, "Put your legs down, the baby's crowning!"  I was shocked and beginning to wonder if I'd have to do any work at all to have this baby!  Again more shouting out the door and people start bringing in carts and machines. 

Enter the Medical Resident.  Ugh. 

Thankfully she didn't have any questions, she was just standing there to catch in case the doctor didn't get there in time. 

They asked if a medical student could watch.  Nope.  Not in one million and one years.

**Now I'm going to be a little graphic-ish here, so anyone that wants to turn away is welcomed to now.**

Finally my doctor came in and asked if I wanted a mirror.  I didn't know who was talking, but I heard my voice say yes.  I never thought I'd want to look!! Ack!  So she gets my legs into position and I have a contraction and with just a little push on my part, the baby's head is halfway out.  No time for the mirror so my doctor asked if I could see things in her plastic glasses, which she helpfully moved to and fro so I could see.  It was hilarious!  Next contraction, I pushed and she came out a little more. Third contraction came and I really pushed with all I had and all of Natalie came out!  Not a "leisurely" pushing experience, with one push for the head and another for the shoulders/body.  It was like a human cannonball!

My mom videotaped the birth and the video is 1 and 1/2 minutes long which included Natalie on my chest and being taken to the warmer while Dennis and I shared a hug.  I want to publicly apologize to our friends that Dennis asked if they would like to see the video at the hospital.  "It didn't show anything!" was his reasoning, but it really did and I wouldn't allow it.  :)

Then the doctor spent at least an hour stitching me up.  I guess fast births don't come without ANY pitfalls.  :) 

So, that's the story of Natalie's arrival.  Beautiful and all together unique, just like her. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing.I never got past 8 cm dilation and wonder what natural birth is like...

Michelle said...

Aww what a story! Congrats again! :) My doctor asked me if I wanted a mirror to watch, and I just about gagged and managed to tell her no. LOL :)

Shannon said...

Z - I'm sorry your body wasn't compatible with your nearly 10 pound (!!) boy and you had to labor so long. I so hope you are able to experience a natural birth if you have more children. The recovery experience was much smoother despite the repairs compared to my c-section.

Thanks Michelle! I really couldn't believe I wanted to watch - and I even reached down and touched her head during the process! And I looked at the placenta! Egad! It was a totally out of body experience. :D