Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Birthday Boy

Two years ago today, I went from this.....


To this.....


And Mr. Ryan has gone from this....


To this!!! 


We sure have come a long way baby boy!

Ryan is up to a lot these days, so I think this is a great time for an update!

Ryan seems to be developing right on track as far as being a two year old is concerned.   

The End.

Just kidding!  Ryan has been pretty hilarious lately.  He repeats everything we say!  The words he says which currently sound the funniest include: basketball, bowling ball, butterfly, milk (gook - no idea where that came from!) and diaper (peeper).   

He is definitely in the stage of ordering/demanding.  Read it. Open it. Daddy/Mommy stay (though that's my favorite).  We are trying to temper that and have him say please or have him wait if we need to finish something up.

On that note, the tantrums are ramping up. The part I find humorous is when he's having a fit about something and I just stop what I am doing and watch him.  No smiling, no talking, just watching.  He'll continue the fit for a little bit longer (like 15-30 seconds) and maybe throw in some additional thrashing for a good show, but he will eventually meet my gaze and calm down. It's so weird, like he knows I'm not going for the drama.  Either way, I've learned that my pleading with him only makes things worse.

What's not so humorous is when he throws a fit at a store because he won't sit in the dang cart!!  Public tantrums and the judgment of strangers give me hives, so me and my little shopping buddy are suspending operations until I can come up with a good plan to make him compliant.  I am also open to ideas from my reading audience because grocery shopping at 6:30am is not that fun.  :)

Moving on...... 

Another adorable thing he does is when he's trying to open something or move something and is having a hard time, he will grunt and say "come on."  Sounds just like his daddy! 

He loves to shut doors whenever he can.  Our doorknobs have those cheapy push locks on them and he has now figured those out too! He has locked himself in various rooms a few times already so I keep paper clips around the house so I can easily get in there.

His memory is improving.  Yesterday Dennis went to the bank and he got a sucker for Ryan.  They got home and Dennis forgot the sucker in the car so he mentioned to Ryan that he had a treat and got it for him.  Today, Ryan had a complete meltdown because Daddy didn't have a treat for him in the car.  He was running to the door and saying "treat, treat!"   

Ryan is such a joy in our lives and I am so excited to see what the next year brings! Happy Birthday Ryan!

Our Birthday Flag from Jenny's Tutorial

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy birthday Ryan! I'm right there with you on the public tantrums -- hopefully someone will have a good suggestion for us! Keagan is really into pushing the cart himself, as opposed to riding in it. It's all fine, unless he can't even see over the cart and we refuse to let him run into everything and everyone! Hope you guys have a fantastic day celebrating your sweet little boy!

jenny said...

Sweet flag and happy birthday, Ryan! He shares it with my nephew, Roman! :-) Great day!