Monday, March 28, 2011

Second Chances

I'm sure you've all heard that old phrase......

This is a phrase I take kind of seriously because, in certain situations, I need people to take me seriously!  No do-overs.  Well today was one of those days and I.blew.it. Big time.  I still feel horribly embarrassed just thinking about it, so obviously I knew I HAD to share it with all of you!

Here's the deal.  I had a doctor's appointment with a new doctor to see what is wrong with me.  She's thinking my hormones might be off from taking stupid birth control (stupid, stupid), so she ordered tests of 5 different things and sent me on my merry way to their lab. 

I arrive at the lab and see there is only a chair.  Bummer, but I remind myself that I'm a big girl.  Truthfully, I am the world's biggest wienie when it comes to getting blood drawn and prefer to lay down, but this is a really small office (not to mention this was my first visit), and I didn't know that option was available.  I get to sit in the chair for a few minutes by myself before the nurse comes and as I'm looking around I see a three-door storage thing with all kinds of vials in it.  Small ones, medium ones, and the bigguns (probably 3-4" long).

Don't think about it, and be sure to not look at which vials she grabs. I tell myself.

I also have a pep talk with my pituitary gland and if it felt like it, could it just squeeze out a little more TSH so I could have something wrong with me? (I'm really grasping at straws here)

Enter the Nurse. 

She goes to the three drawer thing and starts rooting around.  I turn and look the other way, determined to keep up my side of my internal bargain. Then she comes around to the tray next to me and plops down the vials. 

VIALS. 

TWO. 

THE BIGGUNS!

I start to sweat, and she reassures me that it isn't going to hurt a bit.  At that point, I realize it's nearly 12:30 and I haven't had lunch yet.  This could get interesting.  She preps my arm and as she's inserting the needle, she keeps asking, "does it hurt?" I immediately reply "YES!!"  It was like someone was piping molten lava into my veins. So I put my head down in my free hand and try to look away as this egregious thing is happening to me and think about other things. 

All of a sudden, my mind starts racing, like it's on a hamster wheel, and the next thing I remember is a lot of shouting and my face pressed up against my doctor's coat.  Great.  Then came the smelling salt which was SO disgusting!  I started making awful noises and I heard my doctor say I was going to be fine.  I was thinking of course I'm fine, now get that junk out of my nose!  Then as my doctor and a nurse start to get me on my feet to get me to another room, I fully realize I fainted and I felt so mortified!  Someone asked me if I was going to throw up and I said no, then started dry heaving in the hallway.  Cute. 

They hauled me to a recliner and left me to collect myself.  I was literally dripping sweat and tears too I think.  Hopefully they don't think I'm a total dweeb, having intelligent conversations about my problems, then passing out on a chair.  Hope they note that in my chart.

I mean, really, I've had a c-section for crying out loud!  But a butterfly needle????  Ooooohhhh noooooooo! Horrors and Calamity!

Anyway, I should have the results next week.  :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Shannon, I totally understand how you feel!! I absolutely HATE getting my blood drawn. I even freaked out when I had to bring Keagan to get HIS blood drawn! haha :) I've passed out before too, I was so embarrassed, but my nurse said it definitely happens quite often and they don't think anything of it! I'm sure they don't think you're a dweeb! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, we have so much in common!! When I was TTC Knox, I had at least two blood draws a month, but I STILL had to have my feet up every single time or I'd keel over. I have passed out more times than I'd like to remember while getting blood drawn! You're not alone in this... it's called a "vaso vagal" reaction- look it up, it will make you feel better. :)

I hope the results are good ones and #2 comes along shortly! Good luck!