The first scene occurred at lunchtime when I received word that a coworker brought her new baby girl in. My heart didn't immediately fall through the floor, so I thought I'd go over. She and I don't work together, but we're in a mom's group, so we're at least familiar with each other. I went over to where she was and another person was holding the baby, so I asked a few common, new-mom questions and the mom didn't really answer! Then I tried to ooh and ahh over the baby more and she still wasn't very friendly! Just a few words of reply and when the baby was passed off, I just figured it would be a good time to leave. Maybe the mom was tired or whatnot, but sweet sandwiches that was awkward!
The second scene occurred as I was going back to my desk from scene one. I was passing by a coworker and she piped up, "Oh doesn't that baby just make you want another one!" I was completely tongue-tied so all I could manage to do was shrug my shoulders and say how cute babies are when they are small while inwardly imploring her to stop at any time. She continued. "Oh Ryan would just LOVE being a big brother wouldn't he???" Ugh. I had no desire whatsoever to go over my reproductive woes with her, so I think I said something about how he'd have to learn to share and slunk back to my desk.
Scene three was just a few hours later! There was a man standing in an empty cube talking on the phone, but I couldn't see his face. I assumed he was a new hire in another group so I leaned over to my friend and asked if she knew why he was on the phone. She mentioned that he probably got an email and had to call someone back right away. Then I copped an attitude and mentioned how he was probably so important that he couldn't be bothered to go back to his own cube to make the call. Then my friend says, umm, he doesn't have a cube......huh? I look again and the person I was so snippy about was the CEO of our company. :/ Oh, I guess he could use my phone if he wanted.
After that, I took a vow of silence for the day. It lasted about 5 minutes. :)

2 comments:
Oh Shan... LOVE those days.
You'll be prayed for by me with your "reproductive woes." I'm sorry... :-(
Shannon! I know! I feel like I have those days quite often----this mouth of mine has a mind of its own! We should get together sometime soon for dinner or something---maybe even without kiddos:)
Post a Comment