The holiday season has now come and gone and I can say it definitely felt more empty than it ever has. Why? I'm not exactly sure, but I just felt behind and out of it. I wanted to do an Advent calendar with Ryan and I couldn't get it organized in time. Did most of my shopping in the last week. Church fell flat. The group I help facilitate at church has dwindled down to single digits on a good week, which is discouragine. My heart just wasn't in any of it and I wasn't very motivated to change it.
Now that it's a new year though, I am hoping I can have a little more focus and be a little more intentional. Here are some of the ways I intend to do that:
1) Spend more time in prayer and in the Word.
I started going through the Bible study our Sunday School class will be going through this winter and the first lesson has emphasized the importance of prayer first. Before asking anyone else - pray. Before consulting Google or Mr. Wiki - pray. Before complaining or becoming discontent - pray. This will be an area of real growth and stretching for me as my time with the Lord is generally tacked onto the end of a day when I'm usually exhausted.
2) Be a better long distance friend/relative.
When people live far away from me, I am horrible at keeping in touch! I'd also like to remember people on their birthdays by sending a card ON TIME!!
3) Take care of my body, but quit comparing to others.
I used 2010 to shave off the rest of my baby fat, but got scared away and toned it down when someone stopped me and said I looked like I was "withering away." I certainly wasn't going for that and didn't think I was, but I wanted to fit in my old clothes (mostly because I'm too cheap to buy new ones) and feel comfortable in my skin. After eating my way through the holidays though, I am going to get back to the gym and take care of business. My aunt and I talked about running a half marathon this year and I think that would be fun to challenge myself with.
4) Keep myself busy at home
After working all day and all week, the free time I get at home I don't feel like using to clean. I would rather play with Ryan or spend time with Dennis. Unfortunately, this can lead to a state of CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) in our home. This year/month/week, I'd like to spend a little time every day cleaning something up so the weekends aren't so full of chores. I'll probably need a chart for that. Does anyone else do that? What system do you use to keep your quarters tidy??
.....and just for good measure, I'd like a baby. Seems like everyone and their sister just had one or is having one and I'd like one too. :)
Here's to a wonderful year of adventures ahead!!
3 comments:
Yes, I think you should have a baby too. :-)
Totally agree -- jump on board the baby wagon! :) Ryan will be the perfect age if you have another baby this year! AND -- kudos to you for working out so much that people are noticing the difference! I'm sure you look AMAZING and they're probably just jealous. :)
Whew...good stuff. Funny that I have some of the same goals for the new year. When we get together, we'll have to compare notes on how that's going. Love the reminder about prayer...definitely don't do enough of that! And I so want a baby too...I hope God blesses us both with that one and then they can be friends!!
Amber
Post a Comment