Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Streeeeettttcccccchhhhh

For a few weeks this month, I had a unique opportunity to put my faith into action. You see, my cousin Jack decided to get the party started on this thing called life a little earlier than expected. About two months early to be nearly exact. :) My aunt and uncle live about 2 hours away and their hospital wasn't prepared to take care of such a little baby, so my aunt was rushed to a hospital here which is attached to the Children's hospital. Her labor was able to be stopped for a few days while Jack was given all sorts of shots and tests to help him develop, but he was finally born on Monday the 4th. Amazingly, he tipped the scales at 5 pounds, 10 ounces and was 19 inches long. The shots ensured his lungs were developed and he didn't spend any time on respirators. The trouble was that my aunt was discharged a few days later, but Jack had to stay until he could eat and to make sure his digestion was working correctly.
Sweet little man!

Hanging out under the lights for his jaundice

So.....we had an unexpected guest for an indefinite amount of time! All together now - Bananas!! I've always looked up to Marcey growing up (she's about 10 years older than me) but family drama (not between us personally) kept us apart for a long, long time. It was such a blessing to have her stay with us as it was imperative for her to keep nursing Jack and get him eating. Plus, I don't believe that leaving Jack at the hospital for a few weeks alone was even an option. So I made her lunches and did laundry and we would drive her to the hospital and home every day. It was a challenge to stay on top of everything for everyone, but I learned so much through the experience. I kept thinking of the verses in Mark when Jesus didn't come here to be served, but to serve and give his life. For 10 days I served. I gave my life (figuratively of course) and I was surprised at how I felt about it all. I felt joy. I felt peace. I felt fulfilled. My life was no longer about me and my comfort. I was stretched. I helped my aunt by taking care of the little things for her so she could take care of her baby. It was an experience I will cherish always. All of our conversations, laughs and tears were etched on my heart.

So this past weekend, Jack received his clean bill of health and they got to go home! It was such a special day for their family and I'm so happy we could help with a small part of that.

1 comment:

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

I am so glad that you could be of help to your aunt and Jack---what a special way to serve/bless someone:) Thanks for sharing, Shannon!