Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Inspired by Dennis

I'm experiencing major blog-writer's block of late, so as I was whining to Dennis about how I couldn't think of a different subject to write about, Dennis suggested this pearl of a subject that I'm actually very excited about.

Tonight, I ran.

Outside. For a long time. Without stopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took Dennis' little Garmin GPS watch with me and logged more miles then I had ever run at one time, in my entire life! Yay me!

And sure, I may have looked like this to everyone around the pond who had the privilege of seeing me......




But I honestly felt like this when I got home!





I was really proud of myself and I'm even thinking about signing up for a *gasp!* 5k run in October! Oh baby!
I think the source of my pride stems from the fact that for the last 6 or so years, I've been dealing with ITBS which made running (and any other high impact sport), nearly impossible. I got completely frustrated with it during our trip to Washington in May when I could have easily used a cane to walk around since I was in so much pain. I mean, really, I'm 26 years old. When we got home from Washington, I resolved to start doing more weight-lifting to strengthen my glutes and thighs (the common offenders with ITBS), and waited a few months to try running. The first time trying was on our vacation in July and that was too soon. I'd injured myself slightly again. Back to more weight-lifting and I decided to try running again last week and was successful! A few miles of running with no pain!
*Cue Angel Chorus - Hallelujah!*
I did a few other runs and today I ran over 3 miles and averaged less than 10 minute miles! It felt so good to make my body do something its never, ever done before. I remember saying to myself during one of the hard hills "You are made of awesome," and I hope no one else heard that! Doesn't make it less true though. ;)
So yeah, next time you see me I'll be the one wearing Under.Armour, eating Clif Bars and talking about tempo runs...........or something like that. :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

haha I love it! We'll have to talk about tempo runs and miles so our husbands will think we're extra cool! :)

Huber said...

way to go! I just ran my first 5K last week and it was the farthest I had ever ran as well in one chunk. Yay, for running!