Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winding Down

I can't believe this year is coming to a close in just a few short weeks! What an exciting year it has been for us! New baby, new promotion for Dennis, job changeroo for me, goods, bads, ups and downs - the Lord has sustained us through it all. To HIM be the glory!


Anyway, as much as I would like to wax sentimental in this post, and maybe I will later this week, I have a much more frivolous subject to post about! I am going to summarize the most overused phrases (in my life) for 2009. Each of these phrases could be put in a vault until 2037 and that would be completely fine by me. You should also know that I USE each of the phrases (frequently at times), so I am just as guilty as the next guy in the proliferation of these loathsome strings of speech.

So without further ado.....


1.) "that is SUPER *insert adjective here*" This phrase is generally used in the following contexts: something is super annoying, super exciting, super toxic - whatever. Cut it out.

2.) Using Facebook as a verb. i.e. "I facebooked her about our Friday plans." Facebook is a thing (well an enigma really), not an action. Quit it.

3.) "I mean *short pause for effect* really" This one I use quite a lot sometimes and it makes me want to cut my tongue off every time I say it. Knock it off.

4.) Any phrase with an "izzle" at the end so as to sound more, from what I can tell, "urban." i.e. fah-shizzle, manizzle, etc. Enough is enough! Get back to 2007 where you belong!

5.) Overuse of onomatopoeia in regular conversation......i.e. "Snap!" "Ba-zing!" "Blast!" Okay, okay, these are a few of the things I can't quite exorcise from my vocabulary and I am so embarrassed about it. Hopefully 2010 will bring new exclamations to replace these tired ones.

6.) "Bailout." I'm so tired of seeing this word on every.single.newspage I read.

7.) "Epic." This one is just gaining steam, but I can tell it's going nowhere good. I'm pretty sure that one will also be on next year's list. ;)

8.) "Aaaaammmmaaaazzzzing!" A certain Bachelor last winter ruined this word for me and now it usually seems disingenuous. I'm trying hard to find other words to replace this one too.

9.) "Bumpaholic." This describes women who keep having babies because they love the belly bump. Having been pregnant and enjoying that body for a short time, I couldn't imagine women doing that just for the clothes. Yikes.

10.) Not a phrase, but you'll get it when I say it.......Gosselins. Please stop making "appearances" and figure out how you plan to raise 8 kids for the next 10 years with as little psychological damage as possible. Mmmkay, thanks.

Well that does it for the 2009 roundup! I look forward to leaving each of these things in the dust and I look forward to what aggravations will take their place in 2010!

2 comments:

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

I mean.......really? You are such a better woman than I am...that phrase has lived with me since college, and it drives me nuts too! As far as the onomatopoeias, however, I am fine with those...I find that they add a certain flavor and "zing", if you will, to life:) Plus, life is too short to be dull and boring, right? Thanks again for the wonderful dinner and game time last weekend....we had a blast!!:)

Michele G. said...

Hi Shan - read your post and then saw the following comment to someone's FB ("facebook") status update - "You're so cute my lil Meganizzle ♥♥♥". Are you kidding - that is hilarious!!! As Sheldon would say from the Big Bang Theory - Ba-Zinga!!! Hope you are having a great Thursday.
One thing I know that I do that I get annoyed with is that I want to end every sentence with an ! as to let people know that I am happy about what I'm saying. =)