Today started off pretty much like any other day......
I woke up 25 minutes later than I wanted (due to my current bad snoozing habit)
Clothes I thought I would fit into, suddenly rebelled against me, much to my chagrin.
Spent a ridiculous amount of time in traffic due to aforementioned late waking
.....it was upon arriving at 3601 W 76th Street that the trajectory of my day changed......
Two very nice women held the elevator for me which I generally appreciate, but this particular elevator has a dopey card access scanner and it didn't give me access, so instead of stopping at my 3rd floor, I was able to take a look at the 6th floor.....Once my companions left, I tried again to scan my card, but to no avail and someone else joined me who I traveled with back down to the 1st floor. Finally, my card scanned and I was able to start my work day, even more ridiclously late, than I was going to be originally.
So I step out of the elevator and nearly hit the floor due to a foul odor later identified to be carpet glue because the contractors just had lay carpet on a Wednesday night, rather than say, a Friday night (which was just two nights away - go figure). As I walk to my desk the smell is getting stronger and stronger and I can't help but wonder how I am going to get through the day. I was also concerned for my little Gilly bar because I can't imagine that such fumes were going to be great in that area. I was speaking with an older coworker about it and as I was fanning myself and trying to develop a plan of action I happened to mention that I was pregnant....
"What!!," the coworker exclaimed, "you cannot be here today. I won't allow it!" So she summons the only manager around and explains that I cannot work today. He gives us both a "what gives" look and she says, "she cannot be here for 10 minutes, she is pregnant - she has a LIFE growing inside of her!"
Oh, did I mention that he was sitting alone when she disclosed this revealing fact about me??? No?? Well that's because he wasn't alone! He was sitting next to a few other people that did not know about my impending joy!
I felt about this big.
So while I was trying desperately not to toss my breakfast, the manager and I went to the fourth floor to find an empty cube and found out it had none of the applications I needed to do my job...... :s
I was then reverted to a freezing third floor empty office by myself to complete my daily tasks. Thankfully, the fumes were a lot less in there (mostly due to the draftiness) and it was there I called the doctor to make sure I was okay to be at the office (sadly it was...). I guess I still don't understand how I shouldn't be around paint fumes, but carpet glue fumes were okay..... but I know the Lord cares for and is protecting our baby and that helped a lot.
Don't get me wrong though, quarantine wasn't all bad! I got to do a lot of things I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, like looking out the window on our beautifully sunny day and listening to my ipod virtually uninterrupted. :)
But that was my day in a nutshell - boy was I glad to be home! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment