Last night I did something that amazed me completely! Our electrical outlets in the kitchen are not up to code, so we need to change them before our renter moves in. So last night, I changed one of the outlets......all by myself!!! Dennis was at Bible study so I thought I would tinker around with it and I got it to work! I couldn't believe it! One hangup is that the new outlet is bigger than the old one so I've got to somehow organize the wires so it will fit in the hold. And we will need a new faceplate because the shape of the new outlet does not jive with the old faceplate we had. When Dennis got home I showed him my project and the first question he asked was, "did you turn the power off?" I said no and told him I hadn't thought about that part (as a joke) and he looked at me with the funniest look!! Then I fessed up and said I did turn off the power - I mean why would I work with something that could electrocute me and not think about turning off the power?? Silly Dennis. Actually this is the third electrical project I've done at our house. The first was to fix our fan in the bathroom because it was running even when the switch wasn't on. Some wires were touching each other and caused that problem. Then I broke the switch for our ceiling fan so I replaced the switch and cord. When I told my mom about that, the first thing she asked was if I turned off the power!! Who do people think I am??? :) So anyway I am feeling a little like Rosie the Riveter today so don't mind me. :)

Onto other matters, I was challenged by a Mrs. Jenny Lee Jeffrey Fugler [:)] to ponder the simple things in life that make it wonderful, even though most of the time I too quickly pass over them. Here is what I have compiled thus far:
1. I love when Dennis sings silly songs to me in his falsetto voice. It cracks me up every time and I love when he gets out of his shell. Dennis is really just so wonderful! As we grow in our marriage, I feel we are more and more meant for each other. We are each other's perfect complement, if that makes sense, and I thank God for that.
2. The way my heart swells with pride when Dennis finishes really well in his triathlons. He has put so much training and hard work into the sport that I am so excited when his efforts are recognized. This year he is hoping to qualify and go to the Half-Ironman World Championships in Florida in November. Don't worry, I won't mind cheering him on in Clearwater FL while it's snowing and nasty in MN. ;)
3. My African Violet (which I have named Samantha) has begun to flower again. Last fall I left her outside on a really hot day and I wasn't sure if she was going to make it through winter! But with a little care and a LOT of patience, she finally has a bud which is going to pop soon. Hopefully she will wait until I get home from Iowa this weekend so I can see the flower in all its splendor!!! Also, as I was checking her this morning, I noticed one itty, bitty bud forming at the base. I really feel like Sam is on the upswing now. If I had not stopped and checked her out, I could have missed the whole event! I will post pictures of her probably after the weekend.
Okay so I only thought of three for now, but hopefully they will keep coming as I slow down to think about it more.
This weekend Dennis and I are going to Iowa to see his cousin get married. Should be fun, the bride and groom really are a cute couple and we are really happy for them.
Time to sign off for now. Wishing a blessed weekend to all!!
1 comment:
Oh I love reading your blogs... you are such a talented writer, as well as an electrician!! I really am impressed! I don't think I would have attempted to do that all on my own. And, the whole turning off the power thing is hilarious! OH man... I also love your simple things. It's too easy to pass them by. They need recognition, dang it! Okay, well, again, I love your blog. I think I'm enjoying blogging better than facebooking now. I've decided. Facebook is too, college-ish. And I'm WAY past college... :-)
Post a Comment