Today we were having company over for dinner. On the menu was pork chops, roasted red potatoes, salad and brownies. Guests were slated to be on my doorstep in one hour, 15 minutes. I was "cooking with fire," so to speak, and making great time in getting the house and meal ready. The kids were playing
Then I remembered the bread
I opened the oven to a billow of smoke and two ashen pieces of bread on a pan which I promptly threw out onto the patio. At this point, people will be warming my doorstep in less than one hour and my house (and I) smell like burnt toast. I opened a few windows around and changed my clothes, all the while hoping our guests would get massive colds on the way over until the smell subsided. I also kept going in and out of the house to see if the smell had abated, to no avail. All my hopes of rectification for this situation laid on the smell being covered by the roasted potatoes and chops. Thankfully they came through and saved the day and the dinner (and my house!) from that horrible smell.
My lesson in all this - always set the timer when cooking. And just buy the dumb bread crumbs.
1 comment:
Oh no!! Sounds like something I would do. BUT... for future reference, I always make my own bread crumbs and my bread is never dried. Sometimes it's just sandwich bread or frozen ends of loafs that I've stuck in the freezer. I just put them in my blender and "crumb" them and then add the spices, usually salt, oregano, and some garlic powder. And they're always divine. :-)
Post a Comment