Tuesday, March 06, 2012

You're Once, Twice.....

.....Three times mastitis......

......and I haaaaaate yoooooouuuuuu!!!!

Leave it to Lionel Richie to know just what to say, am I right?

So yesterday I came down with my third mastitis infection in 6 weeks.  There literally hasn't been one week where I wasn't recovering from delivery, having mastitis, treating mastitis, having/treating mastitis again, having mild thrush (doc didn't agree with thrush from my other post, but the probiotic/grapefruit extract combination knocked it out - anyway...), then mastitis again. 

So I think this is the end of the road for me.  I pumped a lot yesterday which was okay, but cleaning all those parts and bottles along with pumping and actual feeding time just isn't going to work out when Ryan gets all kinds of naughty when I am feeding Natalie (as a side note, any of you know how I can nip that?) 

Today I feel so much better and part of me thinks maybe I should just tough it out and that I'm making a hasty decision, but honestly, I'm terrified of coming off antibiotics next week.  Terrified.  Terrified of getting infected again, tired of trying so many different things and wondering what I keep doing wrong and tired of being so stressed out by this whole thing.  I just want to enjoy feeding my baby, for once.  Yesterday I was giving her a pumped bottle for the first time and we just spent the entire time looking into each others eyes.  No unlatching and relatching and no pain, just me and my girl.

Speaking of my girl, this picture reminds me of an expression I'll probably be seeing a lot of in 10 years or so.....

Seriously Mom?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this! You're awesome for sticking with it this long! With Keagan, I only nursed him 8 weeks and the last few weeks he had all pumped bottles because he just couldn't latch and I wasn't making enough milk. Do what's best for you guys -- if it works to give her pumped bottles for awhile, that's awesome. No matter how long you nurse, it matters that you did it at all! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry it's going so tough :(
I don't think you're making a hasty decision. Healthy and happy mind is more important now - for her - than the type of milk, I think...
Whatever you decide to do - you're the best mom!

Cassie said...

Oh my goodness! I wanna scream for you! I had mastitis twice in a row and nearly quite. It was so frustrating. I definitely would have called it quits at three times. It sounds like you'll enjoy your time more with both kids if you make the switch. Take care of you!

Shannon said...

Thanks for your support! I've been going back and forth during the day today but still come back to being tired of wondering if I should do this thing or that thing to make it stop recurring.

My dear husband thought I should pump for two weeks then try to nurse and if I get mastitis again, THEN I could start weaning. Ha. Ha. Ha. Not a chance. :)