Monday, January 23, 2012

The Best Gift

So last Friday I turned 28 and my sweet daughter gave me quite the gift......Mastitis.

I was pretty disappointed about this condition since I felt like garbage and was rendered completely bed-ridden for the entire day, but on the flip-side I got to spend an entire day in bed napping and staring into this beautiful face....


She is actually the perfect age for me to be bed-ridden too since she doesn't roll over and I was too sick to.  Not too shabby for a birthday I suppose.  :)

We're getting along pretty well.  We went to the doctor last Thursday and in the 10 days we'd been home from the hospital, Miss Natalie went from 6 lbs, 10 oz at discharge to 7 lbs, 12 oz!  Then the mastitis hit, and since then our nursing rhythm has really been off.  Anyone experience that with any tips on how to keep a baby nursing on a side when it feels like glass shards ripping through quite sensitive bits??  I am calling a lactation consultant tomorrow, even though they scare the crap out of me (as I have yet to meet one that isn't completely aggressive and demeaning if you don't get it right), to make sure I am getting a good latch on the awful side. 

Ryan is doing great with his sister.  He loves her very much and gets so excited when she grabs his finger or even opens her eyes to look at him.  He has still been attending daycare which has been such a blessing as we're getting the sleeping/nursing stuff figured out. 

So here is an updated picture of my family.  Sometimes, in the middle of the night when Nattie and I are trying to get a good latch for the 19th time and it finally works and we settle in together, my mind wanders back to last April when someone on the radio reminded me that God had not forgotten about me, and I think this is the girl He had in mind. The perfect complement and addition to our family. A girl who I pray will grow to love Him as much as we do and experience His power in her life.  Then I cry. :)  It's so crazy that we are four strong now, but I already can't imagine life without our Natalie Rose.  She fits in just perfectly.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Aww, I almost cried reading that last paragraph! And, I love that first picture, did you end up getting newborn pictures done?! Miss you too Friend!

Anonymous said...

Hope you get better - soon!
Awesome pictures. I can't wait to see my own son and be able to cuddle with him, sleepless night or whatever...

jenny said...

So sweet - your remembrances...

Ugh... so sorry about mastitis. It's the pits, literally. No advice, except to pump the antibiotics. Hope you feel well soon, love. Beautiful baby!

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

Hope you feel better soon Shannon...and Happy Birthday! I don't have advice either, just something to push through...hopefully the lactation consultant can be helpful---I know what you mean. The first one I talked to made me cry like a complete baby...but then I got tougher skin:) Literally:)

Jill said...

I am SO sorry that you got mastitis. AWFUL. I got it 2 times with Gracer and none with Keira. I didn't even know such a horrid condition existed until I got hit with it at the MN Zoo :( I was told to keep on nursing from that side, blood and all. Sorry to have to share that part...I was also told if I couldn't nurse from that side to pump. It was like razor blades and I am cringing just thinking about it! When you're all better, we'll have to have a mommy date with all the kiddos!

Cassie said...

Ick! Mastitis! I got it twice in a row. I cried and cried. I was a mess. But pumping helped. The pump was much gentler than my aggressive, hungry child. She was kind of an angry eater! Oh, and hot showers. Those helped, too. Good luck, my dear! Beautiful family you have. :)

Anonymous said...

hey - not sure if you have the time these days, but I tagged you: http://zygotta.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/i-got-tagged-to-tell-you-about-myself/