Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bye, Bye, Baby

We've been going through some transitions in this house.....

First of all, after spending 20 weeks and 3 full days convinced there was a boy baby kicking the stuffing out of my belly, we found out we're having a little GIRL!!!


I was completely shocked!  A few friends would tease that we would have girl, but it was only my mom who would have bet the farm (all 240 acres of it) that we were having a girl.  I think she really enjoyed saying "I told you so" for that one! :)  She did mention that she will stop short at naming our daughter so that was thoughtful!  As Dennis and I were walking out of the ultrasound room he mentioned that we are 0 for 2 in guessing the gender of our children. Leave it to him to remind me of the statistics!  Apparently we have no clue what's going on (in gender prediction anyway). 

We've been having so much fun talking with Ryan about his Baby Sister and our sweet daycare provider let us use her Berenstein Bears book about the addition of a baby sister which we have been reading often.  Ryan is so sweet with his Baby Sister too - he pats my belly and tonight he put my head on my belly and talked to the baby saying hello in the sweetest, little voice.  Then she kicked him in the head! So I had her take a time out until she could treat her brother nicely.  ;) These two are going to be quite a pair I'm sure!

Because every kid needs a pic with a shirtless daddy  :)

So now that we know what we're having, her arrival is feeling more imminent and this weekend we took the initiative to get Ryan moving into a toddler bed!  We found a nice little bed on Craigslist so we went out as a family and picked it up last Saturday.  When we got home, Ryan helped us take apart his crib so we could move it into our guest bedroom and so Baby Sister could sleep in it when she came. 

Ryan's Room Before
Then we hauled in the new bed, put it together and got some bedding on it and Ryan was so happy!  He couldn't wait to jump in and take a little "rest!" 

Dennis and I left him in his bed and went out to the living room and about 5 minutes later we heard him call out "I'm ready to get out!"  It was so sweet that he didn't know he could climb out himself!  When we got to his room he was about to jump off via the railing, but we showed him how he could crawl down from the non-railing part so he wouldn't break anything.  :)  We are into our third night in the bed and it has been a great transition so far.  Not much calling out (only tonight for a drink) and he hasn't come out of his room and surprised us yet!  He also still waits for us to get him in the morning, which I'm sure will change, but we're basking in it right now.  I just can't believe how fast he is growing up!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

So excited for you!!! How fun to have one of each, can't wait for you to have 2 little ones! It's difficult yet so much fun!! :)

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

Yay for a girl! Although our little stinker has proven to be much more work than Jonas, we love her to pieces and are thrilled that the Lord has blessed you with one of each:)

Anonymous said...

Mommy ALWAYS knows ! :D
and of course I enjoyed saying I told you so....I seldom get to say it!

Huber said...

Shannon, I am extremely jealous about Ryan's transition to the big boy bed. We will be turning Josiah's crib into a toddler bed when we get home from our vacation next wed. Neither of us really want to do it but Josiah climbs in and out of his crib all the time now so it's a must. I'm jealous though because I know it is not going to go smooth. Josiah is a little wild child that tests every limits put on him and I'm sure this will be no different. I'm still in shock at how quickly the kid can climb out of his crib...you would think it was just a regular bed.

Congrats on the news of a little girl for an addition to the family. We are loving having a little girl and it's so fun to see the differences between boys and girls. :)