Alternately Titled: Goodbye Baby, Hello Daddy's Boy
A dream on Thursday night was interrupted by a cry. Is it real or still my dream? Then comes another cry, so I crack open one sleepy eyeball to check the time: 1:45am. As I debated if he would be able to calm himself down or if he would need parental intervention, a scream echoed through the house. It was followed in rapid succession by another. I threw my glasses on as the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. It is a very rare occurrence that Ryan would wake and call out in the night, and unheard of that he would scream. I rushed across the hall to his room to find my boy up on his knees in his crib, sobbing uncontrollably. I scooped him up and tried to calm him down and all the while he is shifting his weight back and forth to get me closer to the door. I figured he must be thirsty or maybe a little hungry, but my sleepy thoughts are again interrupted by sobs.
"Daaaaaaaaad...........Daaaaaaaaaaaaaad"
Huh?
You want your dad? Well he's sleeping honey and Mama's right here.....
"Daaaaaaaaaad.........DAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!"
With that, we went back to our room and as we opened the door, Dad was being roused from slumber.
Apparently a little somebody needs his Dad.
No sooner did Ryan wrap his arms around his Daddy's neck and he was calm again. He then snuggled in bed with us for a while until his breathing told us he was ready for sleep. It was such a sweet time for us together at 2 in the morning.
As I replay the events of the night through my mind, one thing stands out: there wasn't much this Mama could have done to ease Ryan's fears: he just needed his Daddy. The strong arms, the rhythm of his heartbeat, the reassurance that everything would be alright. When I think about it, that happens to me too. During the times I'm stressed out, frazzled or afraid, I just want to lay my head on God's shoulder and have Him tell me everything is going to be okay. To smooth my hair and tell me the oil of gladness is on its way. In that place I visit far less than I should, I find true rest and peace.
I love the way experiences with my child bring me to a greater appreciation and awe of God. I'm sure that's not an accident. :)
So the rest of the night was fine. Ryan went back to sleep without incident and woke up the happy-little-camper his usually is. I was feeling a little sorry for myself that Ryan didn't prefer to have me comfort him, but I'm so blessed to be married to a man who took the time in the middle of the night to make sure his little one's needs were met. These two truly are a perfect pair.
1 comment:
Okay, now THAT is sweet. I think it's always so special when Keagan prefers Daddy, because it doesn't happen very often yet. :)
Post a Comment