Monday, April 19, 2010

looks can be deceiving.......

To you, this may look like an ordinary delphinium bush. That's what it looked like to me anyway, until I started inspecting it a little more.......



......Upon said inspection, I found this. A perfectly circular hole dug about 6 inches into the ground. I was confused as to whether I needed to start cursing the neighbor's dog because the hole didn't appear that it could have been dug by a yippy, rat-sized dog. So I decided to do more inspecting.


Upon closer inspection, I found this. An egg, roughly the size of a chicken's. Funny, I thought, Dennis and I done butchered all our chickens in the fall and were buying our eggs at the store as of late. Then I remembered the wood ducks that Dennis and I spotted walking around our yard a few days earlier and realized the mother must have thought my flower garden would be the perfect place to procreate. Awesome.


Unfortunately for the egg, I haven't seen any fowl return to the nest so I imagine he/she is abandoned. :( Also unfortunate for the egg, Dennis isn't keen on sharing our bed with an abandoned egg. So I guess in this situation, I'll let nature take its course.

No comments: