Went to the doctor today and found out our little trooper is breech in there! This news makes me sad for the following reasons:
* Up until this point, doctors, nurses, and chiropractors were saying he was head down and now when it counts, he's not
* We may have to do an external version where I have to go to the hospital (!), have an IV of chemicals to prevent contractions (!!) and the doctors will physically turn him to get him head down. This option requires us to be ready to have the baby that day though if something goes wrong (!!!). For a gal who figured (and hoped) to be on time or late, this is scary. Plus, my body is NOT ready to have a baby, not even a little bit. It's sealed like Kennedy's tomb.
* If we don't do the version, I have to schedule a no choice c-section. Making the decision to have major surgery is something I'm really struggling with, but it effectively "buys us time" (2 weeks) for the baby to flip on his own. Of course, if we choose this option, I will probably regret not trying the version (I guess we could do both though).
So we have to decide by Monday what we are going to do. The doctor said I would be a pretty good candidate for a successful version because the baby is pretty small still (apparently about 5 lbs by her estimate which seems particularly small to me), I have a lot of fluid in there to make a smooth movement (read: not injure the baby much (!!)), and he is not engaged in any way in my pelvis. He's just floating away like a naughty little fishing bobber in there.
If you are the praying type, we would appreciate your prayers. Pray for a healthy baby and for wisdom as we are making this tough decision and weighing all the risks. I know that in the grand scheme of complications, this is rather minor, but it's been hard to give up the way I thought things should go based on my pregnancy to this point. I have to continually remind myself that His ways are not my ways and His timing is perfect.
*Sigh* I'm off to get the house ready for family to visit this weekend. I'm thankful they will be here to help with advice, prayer and getting this house ready to maybe have a baby here soon!
5 comments:
You guys will definitely be in my prayers! That's a tough decision, but God will lead you and everything will turn out!
Oh Shannon,
My sister Kate's baby is breech too! She's having some "work" done on her this upcoming week. I'll be looking forward to what you choose...
God is watching over you.
Hi Shannon. I think I know how you feel, although I'm only 33 1/2 weeks and have a bit more time on my side. There are some pelvic tilts that a midwife gave me that I've been doing off and on. She said they're quite effective. Also she recommended seeing a chiropracter. Usually I'm not into that kinda of stuff, but with the vision of a version or c-section ahead I'll try anything. I have an appointment next Friday. All they do is open up your pelvis to make more room for baby to move naturally, but she said that she's had a 90% success rate. I'll bet you'll be fine since your babe isn't engaged yet. I'll be praying for you too. If you want me to send you those pelvic tilt instructions I can send you an email. Just let me know. hang in there!
Shannon,
I went to HS with Dennis and was good friends with Ellen. I have three little ones- all naturally and the third at home. After my first I started going to the chiropractor b/c of being all out of place due to a long hard labor (52 hours) and with my third baby the labor was 4 hours. It made an enormous difference. I also had midwives who were willing to try lots before any of the drastic choices you have been given. Read as much as you can and if you have a strong opinion, assert yourself. A doctor (or midwife, depending on) may make the choice for you and will prefer what is most convenient for them.
Shannon we will be praying for you guys, that has to be a very tough decision but I trust that the Lord will give you guys wisdom and you will do the right choice for your baby.
Post a Comment