Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Tiny Miracles

My parents have a cat which was on the verge of having kittens and today is the day the kittens are going to make their grand appearance into the world!! The cat had been acting very strangely rolling around on the floor and looking generally uncomfortable and my mom wondered aloud if the cat was going to have the kittens today. About a half an hour later, I heard really loud meowing and as we were wondering where it was coming from, I saw the cat on the rocking chair looking like she was in pain!! We knew then and there we needed to spring into action before we needed to get the chair dry cleaned! So we (and by "we" I mean my mom) got a cardboard box and threw an old towel into it and put the cat in our utility room to do her business. It was so hard to hear her "crying"!!! The sound was so sad and my mom reminded me that I will sound like that too when I am having a child. (Aren't moms great for reality checks?!! Thanks Mom!) ;p

So we just checked on her a while ago and there is one kitten in the box!! It is a cute little calico, about as long as my middle finger and all bones and fur! Such a skinny little thing but its coloring is wonderful! I know she will be a beautiful cat! Since these kittens are being born on the 4th of July, we have been thinking of rather patriotic names - boys: Paul Revere, George Washington, Patrick Henry, Uncle Sam and girls: Betsy Ross, Martha Washington, Independence, etc.

Well, we'll see what happens the rest of this afternoon! Oh the joy and mystery of new life!

No comments: