Friday, February 03, 2012

If you can spare a prayer.....

My dad really needs it.

Last week he was in a bad car accident when a texting-while-driving 17 year old overcorrected after hitting some slush and pushed my dad and brother (and 1 ton truck and trailer) into the ditch, totalling the truck and trailer.  My brother wasn't badly injured, but my dad was diagnosed with whiplash and a concussion after several tests/scans and trips to the hospital and doctor's office.  So yesterday, he was at his tax office finishing his taxes and all of a sudden he couldn't sign his name or hold the pen and started crying hysterically (and he is not a cryer).  He thought he was having a seizure so he went to the hospital right away and had another CT scan where his brain looked okay (no bleeding/swelling/stroke), but there was also nothing to explain why his symptoms continue to increase in severity.  He also mentioned that his brain seems to always be "catching up" - always a step behind, which is very frustrating for him. The situation is additionally complicated because his 3rd and 4th vertebrae in his neck are fused from arthritis, so I imagine the whiplash caused his brain to sustain more injury since his bones couldn't absorb much of the force.

Incidentally, the girl who hit them was driving a Ford Focus and had very little damage to her car and laughed the entire time the police were sorting things out.  Let's just say she won't be laughing if I ever find out who she is...

So Dad is home resting now, but sitting in this place of uncertainty is terrifying, frankly.  So if you could pray for healing in his brain and wisdom for the doctors who are treating him, we would appreciate it so much.  And if you could just do me a little favor when you're out driving........

PUT DOWN YOUR PHONE

Any message needing to be sent is not so important that it's worth risking the lives of an entire family.  Especially if it's snowing out.  And no, I can't even believe people need to have that explained to them..... 

5 comments:

Cassie said...

AMEN! That is so frustrating. I'm sorry to hear what happened to your dad and brother. I'll be praying for them. I'll also be praying for the dill-weed 17-year-old and those who pass her on the road.

Shannon said...

Thanks Cassie! I appreciate that a lot!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry... hope all we be well - and soon!

Michelle said...

Saying a prayer!

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

We will be thinking of him and praying for him. GRRRR....I completely agree about the texting thing and it breaks my heart that people are that thoughtless and selfish. The injustice of it all...