For a Baseball player, it may mean a trip to Cooperstown for induction into the Hall of Fame
For a woman who is 41 weeks pregnant, it may mean a much-welcomed ticket out of the discomforts of pregnancy.
For me, induction means I am officially the parent of a 2 year old (in case I ever thought I was getting off easy).
Case in Point:
Tonight Dennis had a banquet for the end of his bowling season, so Ryan and I went to Target to run an errand. Ryan was delightful the entire time until it came time to try on some new sandals. We found ones we liked, but being a child after his mother's own heart, Ryan didn't want to just stop there. He wanted to try on every shoe at his eye level. I explained this wasn't an option and he needed to get his shoes back on so we could keep going.
Commence whining.
After a little prodding and cajoling, Ryan agreed to walk with me to the checkout lanes. I was relieved and thought I'd really dodged a bullet there.
Ha. Ha.
Proceed to checkout and when everything is unloaded, Ryan asked to sit in the big part of the empty cart and I hauled him up there. As the cashier is gathering everything in bags, I'm putting the bags in the cart and Ryan starts to get agitated because his empty cart is no longer empty. All of a sudden, he wants out - and in a bad way. I get him out, but then he wants right back in. I tell him no and to wait until I can pay and that's when it hits.......
Hurricane Dane
Gale Force Screaming
Tears
Rolling on the Ground
Snot
Laying on the Ground
Alternating between stiff as a board and noodle at the slightest touch.
I could feel my face getting more and more flushed with each passing second. I didn't dare look around me at anyone who may or may not have been looking at us and I was completely in awe that this was my life after seeing it played out so many times for so many other parents. I really felt like I was in the club.
So I eventually had to get him to roll out of the way, so the person behind us could leave, and he screamed there for a little while longer until he confirmed he was finished. All in all, the episode lasted 30 seconds, but I will venture a guess that I will never experience a longer 30 seconds for the rest of my life.
Good thing I love that little goober so much.
| Admiring a butterfly in the garden |
1 comment:
Oh my. Been there... :/ Sorry, but yes, you're inducted!
Post a Comment