Wednesday, May 26, 2010

14 Months and Obedience

Just 14 months, or 426 days, or roughly 10,224 hours have passed since my wee man was extracted from me, much to my utter delight. He is a busy little bee nowadays and here are a few of the things he does that have us in stitches all day long......

* Singing in his bed at the crack of dawn signaling that *ahem* he is ready to start the day

* Jumping up and down in bed when he hears us crack open the door

* The way he quietly says "Dah-dee" when Dennis enters a room

* The way he tries to get us to "chase" after him when he is crawling.

* The way he throws his arms up toward me so he can look at what I'm looking at

* The way he loves to "help" me make dinner. I've gotten very good at cooking sideways and one handed :)

* The way he presses his face/head into our face/head/body which I've discovered is how he shows affection

* Putting his hands over his eyes while we ask "Where'd Ryan go?" and I can always see him peeking out at us as we "look" for him

* Dancing (read: shaking his little bottom and bouncing up and down) at anything that has a beat - commercials, toys, you name it.

* He loves going outside, but he hates sitting in long grass. He literally won't move and makes the most disgusted face the entire time he has to be subjected to it.

* The way one front tooth is now visible when he smiles, but the other is still just peeking through his gums.

* Green peas are his FAVORITE food. Followed closely by pancakes. He is definitely his father's son. :)

I also have a question for you out there who have a kid or know a kid: at what point/age does a parent start to train/require first time obedience from a child? I'm sure the "correct" answer is "right from the start," but I'm about 14 months late for that. :) There have been several instances lately where my dear boy has not heeded my instructions the first (or second or third) time, and I realize that is a teachable moment, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. (Note: saying "no" a million and one times has not been an effective strategy thus far :) ) Are there any books that would be helpful? I'm just really interested in learning what reasonable expectations of behavior are for a pre-toddler/toddler. So let me know what you think!! No reasonable offer refused!

3 comments:

Huber said...

Shannon, I am at the very same stage as you right now with Josiah. On rare occasion he will listen the first time but I mean rare. It is usually after repeatedly telling him no and telling him he must obey us and even then often times we have to slap his hand or butt but even that does not work because he thinks it's funny. I'm lost at what to do as well so I will be checking back on here to see what everyone else has to say. I do have one book that I am reading from a conference we went to before Josiah was born called, "Shepherding a Child's Heart" I can't remember the author at this second but you should be able to just look up that book on amazon or something. Anyway, sorry I was not of more help.

Michelle said...

I haven't read any books about that yet -- I should probably pick some up! I know what worked for Keagan most of the time (and still usually does work) it to just completely distract him from what he's doing that I don't want him to do. Example -- often times he enjoys throwing toys across the room and instead of continuously telling him to stop, I just find something completely different for him to play with or I show him what else we can do with the toy instead of throwing it. Hopefully that helps a little!

jenny said...

Hey Shannon - Yes, I would also recommend "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp. But, I also just sent you an email with a link to an AWESOME sermon that was really good for Trav and me in our parenting and disciplining knowledge.