Thursday, August 16, 2007

Back...Momentarily...

I looked at the last time I wrote and, wow, this last week has gone by fast! Here is a mini-update about what went on:

Last weekend Dennis competed in the Turtleman triathlon and out of 2,000 athletes, he placed 9th!! It was a fabulous top-ten finish and I could not be more proud of him. :D Here is a picture of him coming out of the swim portion

Here is the funny story about that picture......I ordered it from the photographer who was taking professional pictures because I thought it was the best swim picture Dennis has ever had taken. When I received the picture from the photographer, the person said they hope I enjoy the picture. Great...fine.... I emailed him back and said I thought their faces really capture the intensity of the race and that, by the way, my husband in the grey just looks too darn cute! :) The photographer wrote back again and his response was very surprising! He said, "Darn cute plus all the girls describe him as one of the nicest, most polite guys they have ever met - and on top of it all, he's a great Triathlete too! Sounds like a 'keeper'." :O At first, I was very surprised and my initial reaction was to feel threatened, but as I thought about it more, it really is a blessing to know that my husband is such a gentleman and as kind to others as he is to me. He just has a strong and wonderful character and I love him to pieces! He certainly is a keeper! :)

On Monday, college friends, Kay, Claire and Ashley came over to play. ;) We had a lovely dinner together and it was so refreshing to catch up with them again! I hope that can happen more often!

This week I also started my baby blanket! I didn't know a thing about gauge in knitting, so the yarn I picked out was way too small for the pattern. Next thing I knew, I was adapting the pattern! I just love the yarn I picked out though. It's pink with a silver thread winding around it so it will make the blanket just a little sparkly. I'm about 16 rows in now though and I think I may start over. There are holes everywhere from where I stretched the yarn too much and I am off in my pattern stiches. Kind of depressing, but this is going to be a gift, so I want it to be the absolute best I can do. One ray of light, I am getting much faster in my stitching, so I don't think it will take as long to do over. I will put some pictures up of it when I get a little farther. Right now it just looks like a blob on a needle. :)

This weekend, Dennis and I are going to New Hampshire! He is doing a triathlon to qualify for the Triathlon World Championships in Florida in November. He needs to place top 4 in his age group so if you think of it, would you say a prayer for him? He is getting more and more nervous, but I know he will do great! We are making a long weekend of it - leaving tomorrow and coming home Monday. Monday we are going to drive into Boston and see some sights so that will be fun. I'll be sure to post some pictures of the race and our adventures when we get back! That will add two or three (if we visit Maine) new states in one trip! So far, since we've been married, Dennis and I have visited 10 different states! Hopefully in the next year, I can add Kansas to our list too! ;)

Wow, this ended up being a long one! Thanks for hanging in there! I probably won't update until we are home from N.H., so I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

jenny said...

Yes, yes! Come to Kansas! :-) And way to go Dennis! Wow... he is impressive!! What a man! We will be thinking of him and I'm sure he will do fine. Press on in your knitting... it will look wonderful. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yo! Cool picture. Wow...9th out of 2,000...that's amazing. I didn't know he was that hard-core at this triathlon thing. That really is a complement for somebody to notice character in somebody they don't even know. I was going to say what in the world are you going to Kansas for but I see you must know people there. If you're around Manhattan you could drop in on my sister and spy on her boyfriend for me...see if he's as good of a guy as Dennis. Haha. Can't wait to see the more completed blob on a needle. Have a fun trip. ~Amber